- Your Cart (0)
Your shopping cart is currently empty.
Pack of Charcoals in different thicknesses and grades for sketching plus the tinted drawing pencils from Derwent. Choose from compressed charcoal or willow charcoal sticks for creating sketches and drawing. Charcoal leaves a very dark line which tends to smudge and can be blended easily. A fixative is recommended to preserve finished charcoal drawings.
Derwent Charcoal pencils, and other carbon pencils, incorporate this popular drawing material compressed and as a core for the wooden casing.
Some tips for using charcoals:
1. Place a clean sheet of paper between your hand and your drawing to help prevent smudging.
2. Blend with your finger or a paper stump to soften marks.
3. Remove unwanted marks with a putty eraser (also known as a kneaded eraser) - these erasers offer a less crumbly replacement for the traditional method of using rolled bread!
4. Highlights can be added to your drawing by removing charcoal using the edge of your eraser or combine charcoals with white conte crayons to create contrast.
5. Use an embossing tool to create indents on the surface of the paper. The grooves will remain charcoal free making this an effective method of adding detail such as the veins on a leaf.
6. Use charcoal to create preliminary drawings for painting in oil or acrylics. Spray with a workable fixative, allow to dry, and paint.
7. There are a range of papers which offer a good 'tooth' for grabbing charcoal marks. A quality cartridge paper is ideal
Items 1 to 10 of 11 total
Save while you shop. Look out for 'Buy More & Save!' offers - such as 15% off when you order 12 silk scarves - or visit Special Offers.
Orders received before noon are normally delivered within 1 working day to UK addresses. Orders over £95 are delivered free! See other delivery options.
We welcome orders from overseas customers. Please see our Terms & Conditions for further information.
Join our Community! Find product information, project ideas and news in our Blog, view Safety Data Sheets, or link to our social media sites. Take a look...
George Weil Gift Cards make great presents for creative people and can be redeemed against the value of any item found on this web site.
George Weil offers schools, colleges and professional craft tutors special discount terms when they buy art and craft supplies. Find out more...
George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 00321890.
Registered office: Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ